Sunday, November 25, 2007

BattleStar: Razor

If you haven't seen it, this is nothing but spoilers, you've been warned!


I thought this was a pretty good flick but I feel bad for BattleStar. This has to tide us over until March - sheesh. NBC/SciFi is dragging this out too long. In fact I almost forgot the danged thing was on last night and would have had to perform unspeakable acts on mittens had she not leapted onto the remote and keyed in SciFi's channel.

Like Firefly only short of canceling the series could a network mishandle a series any worse than BattleStar is being handled.

Primarily the plot is about what happened to the Pegasus when the Cylons attacked. There was also what went on with Adama in the first Cylon war. One thing I caught was as a youth Adama radioed for the Galactica which gives you an idea of how old that ship is.

Gina (the 'Six' model) was Cain's lover and when she's discovered to be a Cylon it explains why Cain had her repeatedly raped as an 'interrogation' technique, "Lieutenant Thorne, I want you to interrogate our Cylon prisoner, find out everything it knows, and since it's so adept at mimicking human feeling, I'm assuming that it's software is vulnerable to them as well, so... pain... degradation... fear... shame... I want you to really test it's limits. Be as creative as you feel the need to be." I'm saying it explains it but certainly doesn't condone it.

Cain struck me as a psychopath. As the movie opens she's joking around with her XO and talking about visiting, once the war starts when he refuses an order she immediately shoots him in the head. She's ruthless and I found her behavior anything but human. This she explains by holding up a knife and stating we have to be 'razors' in order to be victorious.

Adama later muddies the waters excusing Cain's actions. I found myself more in the Lee camp at the movies end.

Kendra Shaw was awesome as Lee's first XO. Haunted by her actions though those didn't come to light until later. Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) was awesome too.

I found the 'old' Cylons interesting and brought back memories. I was SO hoping the hybrid of theirs was the old Baltar from the original series but alas no. There were lots of fun little tips of the hats to science fiction movies, like the soldier being dragged off by the cylons before being shot in the head by Kendra was named 'Hudson.'

The big reveal by the old school Cylon hybrid, who appeared much more aware of his surroundings than the newer models are, "this has all happened before, and it will all happen again." Everyone and their brother is convinced this will be the pivotal plot point of the final fourth season. I tend to agree but am not sure exactly how yet - I hope to God an entire universe isn't trapped in some time loop much like Stephen King's The Dark Tower series (boy was I annoyed!).

The other big reveal was that Starbuck is the harbinger of doom. I've always wanted to be a harbinger of doom ... I tend to take this info, since it came from a Cylon hybrid with a HUGE grain of salt. Cylon's are masters at manipulation.

I really liked this movie and am left with a touch of melancholy. I REALLY miss this series!

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I have never watched the new BSG. But, having discovered the amazing and unbelievably cancelled Firefly this summer, I feel your pain. And it's almost better knowing that Firefly went out intact, rather than "improved" by the networks. I hope your show gets back on track, CommanderBillyBear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never watched the new BSG.

    You should :-) It's intense and by the time you catch up it just might be March that is if SciFi ever decides to release season 3 on DVD before season 4 airs.

    The show is done after the fourth season which the geniuses at SciFi are trying to stretch into an additional season by airing 10 in 08 and the remain ten in 2009. By then no one will give a rats ass.

    I loved Firefly, near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What totally jerked Me about this movie, let us start there. lol

    I am getting it on DVD, but just the point they kept pushing secret things and more on the DVD, bugged Me. Yeah, I am getting it, but hate the fact they force you too, for maybe 2 more minutes of stuff. GRRR!

    The other thing that bugged Me, was it was really good, but NOT what I wanted to see. I miss the show, the on going story, the who are the final 5, and all that jazz. So this was NOT what I wanted to see, even though it was good. lmao

    Now on to what I did like....lol

    I think seeing the back story of cain was really good. Because when she came into the show, after all this stuff was done, but we had not seen. She just seemed like an unfeeling, crazy bitch. But in this it showed she was a real person, real feelings, but things happen and you have to turn those feelings off. You have to survive, you have to keep going. The razor edge as she talked about. So I liked how they turned her into a person we could feel for to a point.

    Now how they treated the number 6 model that was on their ship, Gina. I LOVED IT! Loved how she was cains lover. It worked for the number 6 model, cause she is based in emotions and sex. So that fully worked. Plus it did show why there were so above and beyond mean and cruel to her on the ship when they found out she was really a cylon. IT was not just because she was the enemy, it was because she so openly fooled and fucked over cain. She wanted to make her pay for fucking with her. Not saying it was right....but remember it was in the name of war too.....so not sure where I stand with what they ended up doing to Gina number 6. But on we move. lol

    As for Lee and Adama, I did like what they did there. Yes, they should have done it in away that Adama did not over ride Lee, but the reason they did it was to show, two very different choices in war, and neither would have been "wrong". Just like how cain had handled her crew and ship and the war, vs how Adama did. Very different ways, but neither wrong. So that is the reason I think they did that....to show you can make some hard choices that might have not turned out right, but does not mean they were the wrong choices.

    Ohhh back to something I hated! The ending with the hybrid I did not like. All the other times we have seen hybrids they made NO sense, they talked in pretty jibberish. Even if you watched it with captions, it sill was pretty jibberish. This one was clear, and made sense.....that does not work for Me. You would not think the first one they made would be the "best" model. No, that did not work with the show.....and as for the doom with starbuck. Ugh! Did not like that. They are soooo going down the spirital road the last season and with this too. The destiny of them all and so on. So did not like that one at all! lol

    So there is some of My two cents on it all. IT was good over all, but just not what I wanted to see, and they did not follow the set up of the show like they normally do.

    Sooo good..but not an A+. lol

    As for

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I am getting it, but hate the fact they force you too, for maybe 2 more minutes of stuff. GRRR!

    Agreed. 'They' are doing everything in their power to destroy all interest in this series while simultaneously milking it dollar wise for every cent they can out of the fan base.

    And oh yeah I want to see the series resume too. My understanding is that the first ten episodes are shot and in the can - if they can resolve their issues with the writers (who I agree with) then hopefully they can wrap up the final ten and we can all get some closure on this thing! All before 'never' dammit!

    It did remind me on how much I miss our BSG chats BTW!

    This one was clear, and made sense.....that does not work for Me. You would not think the first one they made would be the "best" model.

    Ahhhh this did work for me. Why do you think a coherent model is best? I'm not sure of its overall functionality but maybe it can 'jump' with greater accuracy and longer distances if it's not coherent. It was different than the later models (who were all female best I can tell (?)).

    You know me - I'll argue till the cows come home that lucid isn't necessarily better - lmao

    I would also argue that Cain made some very wrong moral choices and they are tied to what make us, us. It destroyed Kendra ultimately. The Pegasus was created to defend the very people they ended up dropping in on, stealing the right people and equipment and leaving the rest.

    The Galactica instead took theirs along and tries to defend them. Which is the POINT of a military to defend its society. Cain was locked on vengeance and vengeance alone. When Adama said both choices were right he hedged in my opinion really when he said let history be the judge. I don't think (and I'm talking about the theft of the light drives and expertise here, I can follow but not necessarily agree with the Gina model fate more closely then I can those poor people) Cain in no way acted appropriately in that circumstance - it was criminal.

    I'm going to with hold judgment on Starbuck at the moment, pure intuition is telling me this is something of a red herring.

    Start the fucking series again already SciFi and quit running Nicholas Cage movies for crying out loud - lmao

    ReplyDelete