Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Journal: Days of Wine and Roses

From the journal of William Crozier

January 15, 1849

Dearest Tabitha,

I have been sitting in my office recalling the last four wonderful months we spent together. I've been filling my journal with our exploits but thought I'd take pause and look back. I have never been happier and hope you have been too!


Do you remember the first time we didn't play, just talked? I shall never forget it. It was in early October and we were having an Indian summer. I knelt before you in my usual manner when you pulled the curtain back and said, "I'm sorry William, I'm just not in the mood."


"Would you care to talk my Lady?"


"I would still have to charge you sweet William."


"That is no bother dear Tabitha, I know it would give me great pleasure to converse with you if you would like to do so with me."


You laugh and take me to the back porch where we sat for hours on a porch swing drinking sweetened tea and talking. We've done it many times since and if I were to be honest with myself I enjoy our talks more than our play. No that's not true, I also enjoy our games because of your open acceptance of who and what I am. For others I've sensed that it's just a job, with you I detect a genuine liking of me and an understanding of my foibles. You are blessed in finding employment that you love. So Tabitha, it's impossible to rate, let's call it a tie shall we, and keep doing both!


And over the months, scribbling my thoughts in this journal, talking and playing with you I've come to adore you. You're something of a thief aren't you Tabitha? I open myself up to you entirely, and find you've snuck in and become my true friend. Giggling all the way because you know it's freely given. I feel very close to you and I'm so happy for it.


I've also grown close with other clients of the house. They are wonderful chaps and we laugh and cavort down at "the club." Smoking cigars and drinking whiskey, we while away the hours. I look forward to seeing them as frequently as I can. I've grown quite close with another "regular" of yours, Jerome.


Jerome is quite excited to receive his CB0025. He showed me a drawing of one and it looks positively medieval! He says the four pound weight will be no problem and if he keeps it oiled it shouldn't rust. He thinks it will arrive any day now.


When we first met I had no idea how popular you are, but what amazes me most is that I feel no jealousy. Do you remember that one day when you worked all night long? I managed to sneak in between clients and shove a glass of sweetened ice tea with some flowers under your curtain before sneaking away giggling. You knew it was me and sent me the nicest note the next morning. I treasure that note!


I feel compelled to tell you how sorry I was about my behavior a month or so ago. I can not believe that you continue to find me interesting with so many bellowing for your attentions. My imagination will catch hold and I fill with self doubt and loathing. What could you possibly see in me? How foolish I felt when I learned that you had to suddenly leave to care for your mother who had fallen ill! It's so easy to place you on a pedestal forgetting completely that you're someone's daughter, you have a family and a life outside of this house.

Upon your return you sent me a note that I try and to keep in my mind. You wrote honestly to me, like a friend would reminding me that I'm not the only one clamoring for your attentions, that your family and life outside of this house will always come first, as it should!

You said, "Sweet William, I am sorry that I have been pulled in so many ways of late. You know that I have many clients and that I love them and you, each in your own way but I can not (as much as I would like to be) always be here. And remember when I am here you're not the only rose that needs watering my dear."

I am so glad to be past the madness that gripped me! I hope that demon will not visit me again. I shall endeavor to keep your words in mind.


In such a short amount of time I feel so very close to you Miss Tabitha Lee! I have never felt such happiness or joy. Surly you see the bounce in my step! I shall be seeing you shortly for our "date"!


With deepest respect and love,

Your sweet William

No comments:

Post a Comment