Monday, February 19, 2007

BattleStar: A Day in the Life

OK the "filler" episodes continue. Princess I think we'll have one more week of that ("Dirty Hands" which appears to be about class struggle on the Galatica based on the teaser) before the central story arc resumes with "Maelstrom" the Starbuck centric episode that shakes things up.

Naturally I will be out of town that weekend (Maelstrom) but will have the VCR (yes billybear is old school) all set up and ready to go. billybear staples Mittens' tail back on, "for later." (see comments here for why this is necessary)

I liked this episode more than The Woman King. The writers spelled it out pretty clearly in this one. What are they fighting for? What''s so good about humanity that it's worth saving? I think they're trying to remind us not just about the conflict but the reason for the conflict.

I hope they will back reference this sort of stuff in future episodes otherwise it really was just filler and that's a pity. They're playing a dangerous game here, banking on the fact that we are so enamored with the characters that we will keep coming back. Their problem is that they have such a strong story arc that everyone and their brother wants them to get on with the story!

Counting Maelstrom there will be four episodes left for this season (billybear tugs lightly on Mittens' tail ...). I expect those four to be incredibly tight focused episodes driving the central story arc forward, centered around Baltar's trial. We know that Starbuck will not appear again after Maelstrom - that even the actress's name will not appear in the credits. I still believe Starbuck is a red herring for dying or being a cylon but something significant happens to her, perhaps she's the one to "find earth" and it turns out to be a one way trip.

The episode itself was primarily about a life/death struggle for the Chief and his wife Cally on the wrong side of an airlock, Adama walking around with his ex-wife in his head (the horror, the horror), and a budding potential romance between Adama and Laura.

Enjoyed the drama around Tryrol and Cally. Thought the potential romance and preliminary flirting was interesting. Ex-wife in head didn't do much for me.

But LOVED just LOVED seeing Starbuck again even though it amounted to about a minute of screen time!!! She's back in full form with that fucking goofy grin, cocky attitude, and smirk. I will savor every minute of Maelstrom because then it will be a long time before we get to see her again. I hope she's got a little to do in next weeks episode.

The other scene that made me chuckle was at the end when Gaetta was walking along with Dualla and asked to borrow her pen. I sooo much wanted the writers to complete the line (you know it was there), "Can I borrow your pen? I seemed to have left mine buried in Baltar's neck .. thanks"

So it was an OK episode, can't wait for the shit to hit the fan though ...

3 comments:

  1. Ok, yes I am sick of filler too. GET on with it. I MISS BALTAR!!!! I dont care if no one else does, but My sexy naughty man....ohh I need him! lol

    Now as for ex in head...was hating it when I first saw them doing it. Thinking ohhh noooo, you cant copy baltar and number 6. But this is different..its his daydream...his way of dealing. I understand...I did like how they showed a new softer side to adama, with the ex...and how his kid had to grow up. It kinda of explained to Me, why he is drawn but scared to death of starbuck. So did like that....

    Ohhh and the pres and adama...oh yummy. I think they did the nasty when they were down on the planet...or hanky panky or something. lmao

    I did love at the end, how he asks her a leading question, and she kinda answers it...but he goes, oh but does not matter...then she asks him a question, and he wont answer, cuase its already past. This is soooo men are from mars, women from venus. lmao Does not matter that its over...think about it, tell Me what you would have done. Boytoy and I do this kinda thing. lmaooooo

    so was good....but god I want baltar, trial, the other 5...come on people!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does not matter that its over...think about it, tell Me what you would have done.

    I took from that little exchange that Adama would not have gone down to New Caprica but now I'm unsure.

    They spent the entire episode illustrating how Adama choose the service over his family. I'm thinking now that this episode was even better than I thought (less filling! - lol). But by the end he gave Lee his grandfather's law books (this will be referenced in the future, I've read Lee will be Baltar's attorney)

    To be honest I don't think Adama will ever come down out of the sky, it's core to who he is.

    It was a very good scene though, and very 'flirty'

    but god I want baltar, trial, the other 5...come on people!!!!!!

    Me thinks you have one more episode to go of this sort of stuff and then payoffs in spades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But by the end he gave Lee his grandfather's law books (this will be referenced in the future, I've read Lee will be Baltar's attorney)"

    OMG that is going to cause problems!! Here you have pres wanting him to head the whole thing, not leading the charge against him but still....and now you have him defending him. OH BOY!

    ReplyDelete